- Judaism of Late Antiquity
- Talmudic Philology, Mishnaic Hebrew
- Jewish Enviromentalism
- Talmudic, Gaonic, and Rabbinic Literature;
- Modern Hebrew Literature
2015 – present: Full Professor – Department for the Study of Religion and Department of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto
1988 – present: Associate Professor- Department for the Study of Religion and Department of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto
1983 – 1988: Assistant Professor – Centre for Religious Studies and Department of Near Eastern Studies, University of Toronto
1981 – 1983: Post-doctoral Fellow – Centre for Medieval Studies
1981 – 1982: Special Lecturer – Centre for Religious Studies, University of Toronto
Department for the Study of Religion, University of Toronto
HUM 199Y: The Embarrassment of Scripture
RLG 345H: Ecology and Judaism
RLG 346H: Time and Place in Judaism
NML 455H: Modern Hebrew Poetry
NML 456H: Modern Hebrew Prose
RLG 3645Y: The Jewish Legal Traditions
RLG 3647H: Early Rabbinic Judaism
RLG 3653H: Jewish Exegetical Traditions in Antiquity
NMC 1311Y Post Biblical Hebrew: Mishnah and Midrashim
NMC 1316H: Modern Hebrew Poetry
NMC 1317H: Modern Hebrew Prose
NMC 1318H: Midreshei Halakha: Purity and Cultic Texts
NMC 1326Y: Topics in Midrashic Literature
NMC 1327H: Themes in Midrashic Literature
NMC 1328H: Intertextuality: Tannaitic and Amoraic Literature
- “Kant vs. God: Perpetual Peace vs. Perpetual War.” In Sharpened Arrows: Violence in Rabbinic Discourse, ed. by D. Bernat.
- “Honorifics as a Key to Periodization: The Period of the Sages and Beyond.” In Periodization as seen in the Eyes of the Sages, ed. by A. Goshen.
- “W. D. Davies’ Theology of the Land.” In Rabbinic Ideas of the Land of Israel, ed. by A. Goshen.
- “Who are You Mar Zutra.” Sidra Journal (accepted for Vol. 28, 5 pp.).
- “Biblical Recognition: Separation from Bestiality and Incestuous Relationship.” Pp. 77-100 in Anagnorisis as Mode of Knowledge: Recognition After Aristotle, ed. by T. Russo, Calgary: University of Alberta Press.
- Many Pious Women: Edition and Translation (co-authored with J. Lewis), Studia Judaica 62, Berlin and New York: de Gruyter Press.
- “Proportionality in Armed Conflicts and the Pursuit of Peace: Their Links to Jus Post Bellum, Kant, and Jewish Theodicy.” Pp. 170-192 in From Antiquity to the Post-Modern World: Contemporary Jewish Studies in Canada, ed. by D. Maoz and A. Gondos, Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- “The Embarrassment of Embarrassment.” Pp. 5-18 in Vixens Disturbing Vineyards: The Embarrassment and Embracement of Scripture, ed. by T. Yoreh, A. Glazer, J. Lewis, and M. Segal, Boston: Academic Studies Press.
- “Judaism and Genocide: The Embarrassment of Jewish Jihad.” Pp. 19-52 in Vixens Disturbing Vineyards: The Embarrassment and Embracement of Scripture, ed. by T. Yoreh, A. Glazer, J. Lewis, and M. Segal, Boston: Academic Studies Press.
- “Mar Zutra: His Place and Position.” Sidra Journal 24-25: 351-368.
- “Poethics: How Every Poet is a Jew.” Pp. i-xxxiv in Contemporary Hebrew Mystical Poetry: How it redeems Jewish Thinking by Aubrey Glazer, Lewiston: Mellen Press.
- “Sanctity in Jewish Marriage.” (co-authord with Tirzah Meacham) Pp. 325-345 in To be a Jewish Woman, Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference: Woman and Her Judaism, ed. by T. Cohen, Jerusalem: Kolech – Religious Women’s Forum.
- “Resurrection in the Liturgy and its Antecedents.” Pp. 123-164 in Ze’ev Falk Memorial Volume, ed. by R. Horowitz et al., Jerusalem: Magnus Press.
- “Biographies, Stories, Tall Tales: Fishing for Gullibility.” Mada’ei haYahadut 41:105-141.
- “R. Elijah Gaon’s textual Emendations to Halakhic Midrash as a Basis for Understading His Thought.” Sidra Journal 15:7-16.
- “Introducing Tosefta: Textual, Intratextual, and Intertextual Studies.” Pp. 1-37 in Introducing Tosefta: Textual, Intratextual, and Intertextual Studies, ed. by H. Fox and T. Meacham, Hoboken, New Jersey: Ktav.
- “R. Yonatan haKohen miLunel and Methodologies for Research of Rabbinic Literature.” Mada’ei haYahadut 38:393-403.
- “A Final Response.” Mada’ei haYahadut 38:407-408.
- “The Forelife of Ideas and the Afterlife of Texts.” Revue Biblique 105:520-525.
- “Gaonic Responsa: East and West.” (review essay) Mada’ei haYahadut 37:239-263.
- “Hebrew Dialectology.” Sugyot biLeshon Hakhamin, Institute for Advanced Studies of the Hebrew University, Jerusalem, pp. 73-75.
- “From Simplicity to Complexity: A Response to Response.” Approaches to Ancient Judaism 10:119-125.
- “Supplements to the Anonymous Mishnah Commentary based on Rav Natan Av Ha Yeshiva.” Pp. 371-386 in LeRosh Yosef Kafih Jubilee Volume, ed. by Y. Tobi et al., Jerusalem.
- “There is a Source to the Verse.” Sinai 116:131-135.
- “The Great of the World, etc.” Leshoneinu Lacam 46:136-139.