Ph.D. 1995 University of Chicago
M.A. 1991 University of Chicago
B.A. (with honors) 1987 Wheaton College
Professor, Department of Near and ME Civilizations, University of Toronto (2007-
Associate Professor, Department of Near and ME Civilizations, University of Toronto (2002-2007).
Assistant Professor, Department of Near and ME Civilizations, University of Toronto (1997-2002).
Research Associate, Oriental Institute, University of Chicago (1995-97).
Lecturer, The College, University of Chicago (1994-95).
Complex Societies, Near Eastern Archaeology, Bronze & Iron Age Civilizations, Urbanism, Ethnicity, Exchange Networks, Ceramic Analysis, Archaeological Method/Theory.
Chair, Department of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations (July 2011 – present)
President, American Schools of Oriental Research (Jan/2008- present) [www.asor.org].
Associate Chair and Graduate Coordinator, Department of Near and ME Civilizations, University of Toronto (Jan/2005-June/2008).
NMC 260Y, The Archaeology of the Ancient Near East [=NMC 1400Y].
NMC 360H, The Archaeology of the Biblical World I: The Bronze Ages.
NMC 361H, The Archaeology of the Biblical World II: The Iron Age.
NMC 465H, Ceramic Analysis [=NMC 1411H, Near Eastern Ceramics I].
NMC 466H, Ancient Near Eastern Ceramics [=NMC 1412H, Near Eastern Ceramics II].
NMC 1406Y, Problems in the Archaeology of Bronze Age Syria-Palestine.
NMC 1407Y, Problems in the Archaeology of Iron Age Syria-Palestine.
NMC 1408Y, Seminar in the Archaeology of Syria-Palestine.
- 2013 Tayinat in the Early Iron Age. Pp. 61-87, in Across the Border: Late Bronze-Iron Age Relations Between Syria and Anatolia. Edited by K.A. Yener. Amsterdam: Peeters Press.
- 2013 2011 Tayinat Kaziları ve Araştırmaları. Kazı Sonuçları Toplantısı 34/2: 105-18. [co-authored w/ E. Denel and S. Batiuk]
- 2013 Landscapes of Power: Neo-Hittite Citadels in Comparative Perspective. Pp. 97-114, in Cities and Citadels in Turkey: From the Iron Age to the Seljuks. Edited by S. Redford and N. Ergin. Ancient Near Eastern Studies, Supplement No. 40. Leuven: Peeters.
- 2012 Ta‘yīnāt, Tall. Pp. 494-97, in Reallexikon der Assyriologie und Vorderasiatischen Archäologie. Vol. 13, No. 5/6. Edited by T. Blaschke, S. Ecklin, J. Fechner, and S. Pfaffinger. Berlin: De Gruyter. [co-authored w/ D. Hawkins]
- 2012 West Syrian Megaron or Neo-Assyrian Langraum? The Shifting Form and Function of the Tell Ta‘yīnāt (Kunulua) Temples. Pp. 3-21, in Temple Building and Temple Cult: Architecture and Cultic Paraphernalia of Temples in the Levant (2nd-1st Millennium BCE). Edited by J. Kamlah. Abhandlungen des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins, Band 41. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz Verlag.
- 2012 2010 Tayinat Kaziları ve Araştırmaları. Kazı Sonuçları Toplantısı 33/3: 173-90. [co-authored w/ E. Denel and S. Batiuk]
- 2012 Bronze Age Cities of the Plains and the Highlands: The Southern Levant. Pp. 629-46, in A Companion to the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East. Edited by D. Potts. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell Publishers.
- 2012 Lion-Adorned Monumental Gate Complex Unearthed at Tell Tayinat, Turkey. The Near Eastern Archaeology Foundation Bulletin 55 (February): 6.
- 2012 Building XVI and the Neo-Assyrian Sacred Precinct at Tell Tayinat. Journal of Cuneiform Studies 64:125-143. [co-author]
- 2011 Tell Tayinat’s Great Lion. bout de papier 26:2 (Fall/Winter): 19.
- 2011 Temples, Tablets and the Neo-Assyrian Provincial Capital of Kinalia. Journal of the Canadian Society for Mesopotamian Studies 6:29-37.
- 2011 Beyond the MPP: A Regional Approach to the Archaeology of the Mādabā Plain Region. Pp. 156-63, in The Mādabā Plains Project After 40 Years. Ed. L. Herr, D. Clark. London: Equinox.
- 2011 Tayinat Höyük Kazıları, 2009. Kazı Sonuçları Toplantısı 32/3: 368-84. [co-authored w/ S. Batiuk and E. Denel]
- 2011 Tell Tayinat in the Late Third Millennium. Recent investigations of the Tayinat Archaeological Project, 2008-2010. Anatolica 37:147-185. [co-author]
- 2011 Tell Tayinat: Capital of the Neo-Hittite Kingdom of Patina. Actual Archaeology 1: 66-73.
- 2011 Community Life, Household Production and the Ceramic Industry at Early Bronze Age Tall al-‘Umayri. Pp. 53-69, in The Archaeology of Early Bronze Age People. Edited by M. Chesson. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns.
- 2010 The Late Bronze/Early Iron Age Transition in the Northern Orontes Valley. Pp. 83-102 in Societies in Transition. Evolutionary Processes in the Northern Levant between Late Bronze Age II and Early Iron Age, ed. F. Venturi. Bologna: CLUEB.
- 2010 Tayinat Höyüğü: Arkeoloji Projesi 2009. Hatay 32:36-37.
- 2010 Tell Tayinat: Patina Kralliğ’nin Başkenti. Aktüel Arkeoloji Dergisi 16:78-85.
- 2009 Lifting the Veil on a “Dark Age”: Ta‛yinat and the North Orontes Valley During the Early Iron Age. Pp. 171-184 in Exploring the Longue Durée: Essays in Honor of Lawrence E. Stager, ed. D. Schloen. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns.
- 2009 Neo-Hittites in the “Land of Palistin”: Renewed Investigations at Tell Ta‛yinat on the Plain of Antioch. Near Eastern Archaeology 72(4):174-189.
- 2008 Amik Ovasi’ndaki Patina Geç Hitit Kralligi’nin Baskenti: Tayinat Höyüğü. Hatay 14:18-22. [H. Pamir – Turkish translation]
- 2008 Community Life, Household Production and the Ceramic Industry at Early Bronze Age Tall al-‘Umayri. In The Archaeology of Early Bronze Age People. Edited by M. Chesson. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns.
- 2008 Cyprus, The Sea Peoples and the Eastern Mediterranean: Regional Perspectives of Change and Continuity. Special issue of Scripta Mediterranea (Vols. 27-28).
- 2007 Neo-Hittites in the North Orontes Valley: Recent Investigations at Tell Tayinat. Journal of the Canadian Society for Mesopotamian Studies 2: 59-68.
- 2007 Investigating 5,000 years of Urban History: The Tall M?dab? Archaeological Project. In Crossing Jordan: North American Contributions to the Archaeology of Jordan. Edited by T.E. Levy, P.M.M. Daviau, R.W. Younker and M. Shaer. London: Equinox Publishing. [lead author]
- 2007 The Early Bronze Age City States of the Southern Levant: Neither Cities nor States. In Crossing Jordan: North American Contributions to the Archaeology of Jordan. Edited by T.E. Levy, P.M.M. Daviau, R.W. Younker and M. Shaer. London: Equinox Publishing. [co-author]
- 2005 The Neo-Assyrian Governor’s Residence at Tell Tayinat. Bulletin of the Canadian Society for Mesopotamian Studies 40: 23-33.
- 2005 Mesha, the Mishor, and the Chronology of Iron Age Madaba. In The Bible and Radiocarbon Dating; Archaeology, Text and Science. Edited by T. Levy and T. Higham. London: Equinox Publishing. [lead author]
- 2005 Geochemical Analysis and Sociocultural Complexity: A Case Study from Early Iron Age Megiddo (Israel). Archaeometry 47/4: 705-22. [co-author]
- 2004 Megiddo III: Final Report of the Stratum VI Excavations. Oriental Institute Publications, No. 127. Chicago: Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago.
- 2003 The Tall Madaba Archaeological Project: Preliminary Report of the 1998-2000 Field Seasons. Annual of the Department of Antiquities of Jordan 47: 129-48. [lead author]
- 2003 The Battleground. Who Destroyed Megiddo? Was It David or Shishak? Biblical Archaeology Review 29/6: 28-35, 60, 62, 64.
- 2003 Settlement Heterogeneity and Multivariate Craft Production in the Early Bronze Age Southern Levant. Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology 16: 33-57. [co-author]
- 2002 Rabbath of the Ammonites. Archaeology Odyssey 5: 12-19.
- 2001 Early Bronze Social Organization as Reflected in Burial Patterns from the Southern Levant. Pp. 215-36, in Studies in the Archaeology of Israel and Neighboring Lands in Memory of Douglas L. Esse. Edited by S. Wolff. Studies in Ancient Oriental Civilization (SAOC), No. 59. Chicago: University of Chicago.
- 2001 Urban or Rural? The Development of Regional Communities in the Highlands of Jordan during the Third Millennium. Studies in the History and Archaeology of Jordan 7: 191-96.
- 2001 Tell Ta’yinat and the Kingdom of Unqi. Pp. 115-32, in The World of the Aramaeans II; Studies in History and Archaeology in Honour of Paul-Eugène Dion. Edited by P.M.M Daviau, J.W. Wevers and M. Weigl. Journal for the Study of the Old Testament Supplement Series, No. 325. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.
- 2001 The Evidence for Aramaean Cultural Expansion in the Amuq Plain. Bulletin of the Canadian Society for Mesopotamian Studies 36: 13-22.
- 2000 Urban Life in the Highlands of Central Jordan; A Preliminary Report of the 1996 Tall Madaba Excavations. Annual of the Department of Antiquities of Jordan 44: 211-29. [lead author]
- 2000 The Early Bronze III Ceramic Horizon for Highland Central Jordan. Pp. 347-64, in Ceramics and Change in the Early Bronze Age of the Southern Levant. Edited by G. Philip and D. Baird. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.
- 2000 Field D: The Lower Southern Terrace. Pp. 95-154, in Madaba Plains Project IV. The 1992 Season at Tell al-‘Umayri and Subsequent Studies. Edited by L. G. Herr, D. Clark, L. T. Geraty, R. Younker, and O. S. LaBianca. Berrien Springs, MI: Andrews University Press.
- 1997 Field D: The Lower Southern Terrace. Pp. 99-175, in Madaba Plains Project III. The 1989 Season at Tell el-‘Umeiri and Vicinity and Subsequent Studies. Edited by L. G. Herr, L. T. Geraty, O. S. LaBianca, R. W. Younker, and D. R. Clark. Berrien Springs, MI: Andrews University Press.
- 1997 Intrasite Spatial Analysis and the Settlement History of Madaba. Studies in the History and Archaeology of Jordan 6: 137-42.
- 1996 The History of Madaba. Pp. 1-17, in Madaba: Cultural Heritage, eds. P. M. Bikai and T. A. Dailey. Amman: American Center of Oriental Research.
- 1996 The Surface Survey. Pp. 18-23 in Madaba: Cultural Heritage, eds. P. M. Bikai and T. A. Dailey. Amman: American Center of Oriental Research.
- 1993 Economics with an Entrepreneurial Spirit: Early Bronze Trade with Late Predynastic Egypt. Biblical Archaeologist 56: 81-93.
- 1992 The Early Umayyad Settlement at Tabariyah: A Case of Yet Another Misr? Journal of Near Eastern Studies 51: 51-59.