2004: University of Toronto, Department of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, Associate Professor
1999–2004: University of Toronto, Department of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, Assistant Professor
1993-1999: National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Institute of Oriental Studies, Division Head
1993: Harvard University, Department of History, Lecturer
Ottoman military. Ottoman financial and timar systems. Ottoman Black Sea region and relations with the northern countries. Historico-archaeological study of Ottoman fortresses.
Ottoman History, 1300–1800
Steppe Frontier in Eurasian Islamic History
Topics in Ottoman History
Ottoman Palaeography and Diplomatics
Ottoman Historical Texts
Professional Affiliations and Activities
Editor-in-Chief “Studies in Ottoman Documents Pertaining to Ukraine and the Black Sea Countries,” Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
- Volume Editor of Dariusz Kolodziejczyk. The Ottoman Survey Register of Podolia (ca. 1681): Defter-i Mufassal-i Eyalet-i Kamaniçe (Cambridge, Mass. and Kyiv: Harvard Ukrainian Research Institute and Institute of Oriental Studies, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 2004), 1034 pp.
- Volume Editor of Halil Inalcik. Sources and Studies on the Ottoman Black Sea, vol. 1: The Customs Register of Caffa (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard Ukrainian Research Institute, 1996), 231 pp.
Co-director of Akkerman Fortress Project akkermanfortress.utoronto.ca
Co-editor of H-Turk, a discussion list in Turkish and Ottoman Studies affiliated with the H-Net network
Seminar in Ottoman and Turkish Studies (NMC and History) – co-founder and co-organizer
- Warfare and Diplomacy across Sea and Steppe: The Ottoman Black Sea Frontier in the Early Seventeenth Century. Cambridge: Harvard Middle Eastern Monographs (forthcoming).
- “The Seventeenth-Century Ottoman Timar: A Great Unknown.” Turkish Historical Review (forthcoming).
- “The Zaporozhian Cossacks and the Lower Dnieper River Refugium.” In Mediterranean Rivers in Global Perspective. Eds. Johannes Bernhardt and Markus Koller. Bochum: Zentrum für Mittelmeerstudien, Ruhr-Universität (forthcoming).
- “Cossack Ukraine In and Out of Ottoman Orbit, 1648-1681.” In The European Tributary States of the Ottoman Empire in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries. Eds. Gábor Kámrán, Lovro Kunčević (Leiden and Boston: Brill, 2013), pp. 123–52.
- “Long-Range Campaigns of the Crimean Khanate in the Mid-Sixteenth Century.” In Warfare in Eastern Europe, 1550-1800. Ed. Brian Davies. Leiden and Boston: Brill, 2011, pp. 147–72.
- “Ottoman Northern Black Sea Frontier at Akkerman: The View from a Historical and Archaeological Project.” In The Frontiers of the Ottoman World. Ed. Andrew Peacock. Oxford and New York: British Institute at Ankara and Oxford University Press, 2009, pp. 137–70 [co-author Svitlana Bilyayeva].
- “XVI. ve XVII. Yüzyıl Kazak Deniz Akınları Karşısında Osmanlı Karadeniz’i [The Ottoman Black Sea in the Face of the Cossack Naval Raids of the 16th and 17th Centuries].” Türk Denizcilik Tarihi [Turkish Maritime History]. Eds. İdris Bostan and Salih Özbaran. Istanbul: Deniz Kuvvetleri Komutanlığı, 2009, pp. 241–53.
- “Political-Personal Intrigue on the Ottoman Frontier in Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky’s Relations with the Porte: The Case of Ramażān Beg vs. Velī Beg.” Journal of Ukrainian Studies 33–34 (2008–2009): 365–79.
- “Outpost of Empire: An Appraisal of Ottoman Building Registers as Sources for the Archaeology and Construction History of the Black Sea Fortress of Özi.” Muqarnas: An Annual on the Visual Culture of the Islamic World 22 (2005): 150-88 [co-author Caroline Finkel].
- “The Human Landscape of the Ottoman Black Sea in the Face of the Cossack Naval Raids.” Oriente Moderno, n.s. 20 (2001): 23–95.
- “Kozac’ki chornomorski poxody u morskij istoriji Kjatiba Chelebi [Cossack Black Sea naval campaigns in the naval history of Katib Chelebi].” Mappa mundi. Studia in honorem Jaroslavi Dashkevych septuagenario dedicata. New York, Kiev, Lviv: M. P. Kots, 1996, pp. 341–426 [co-author Oleksandr Halenko].
- “An Ottoman Gazaname on Halil Pasha’s Naval Campaign against the Cossacks (1621).” Harvard Ukrainian Studies 14 (1990): 482–521.
- “Five Documents from the Topkapı Palace Archive on the Ottoman Defense of the Black Sea against the Cossacks (1639).” Journal of Turkish Studies 11 (1987): 49–104.
- “The Publication of Documents on the Crimean Khanate in the Topkapı Sarayı: The Documentary Legacy of Crimean-Ottoman Relations.” Turcica 19 (1987): 247–276.
- “Bohdan Xmel’nyc’kyj and the Porte: A Document from the Ottoman Archives.” Harvard Ukrainian Studies 8 (1984): 453–73 [co-authored with András Riedlmayer].
- “The Publication of Documents on the Crimean Khanate in the Topkapı Sarayı: New Sources for the History of the Black Sea Basin.” Harvard Ukrainian Studies 6 (1982): 500–28.